Yesterday, Association Media & Publishing kicked off the 2012 version of its New York-area education program. Graciously hosted by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the “lunch-and-learn” program is the first of at least four such events planned for this year.
During the presentation part of the program, I offered six core ideas on “using content to acquire new members”:
- Repackage great content
- Make sure you include content when recruiting members
- Distribute magazines in “public place” locations
- Sell institutional subscriptions
- Give content away (judiciously)
- Remember the leave behind (which I actually forgot!)
These ideas are drawn from several sources, including association marketing consultant Scott Oser. After the presentation, the two dozen or so attendees asked questions and engaged in an extended discussion of their own practices.
The 2012 program is jointed sponsored by Firebrand Technologies and Magellan Media. Upcoming events will address:
- Using content to earn non-dues revenue (May)
- Cross-platform content workflows that don’t break the bank (August or September)
- Digital-first and digital only publishing (November)
The lunch-and-learn sessions are open to all and are free for Association Media & Publishing members (hint, hint!). I’ll post information on future sessions as they are scheduled.